Liliane Baron South Interlake Breast Cancer Support Group
In November 2000, Liliane Baron was diagnosed with Breast Cancer. It was discovered during a routine visit to the Mobile Breast Cancer Screening Clinic held at Teulon in October of that year. Lil’s daughter, Claudette, herself a breast cancer survivor, became Lil’s guide and mentor through the oftentimes overwhelming maze of appointments, support services, feelings and frustrations.
Sadly, Lil’s fight ended in April 2001, and in her memory her family requested donations be made to the Selkirk & District Breast Cancer Support Group, located in Selkirk, Manitoba.
Because of the numerous donations received in Lil’s memory, the Selkirk Support Group contacted the family informing them that they would like to see the funds at work in her own area and suggested a local Breast Cancer support Group be formed using this seed money in the South Interlake District.
Together we take our first steps towards reaching out to all the women who are fighting this disease and the women who may face such a diagnosis in the future.
Support Group Guidelines
- No Doctor’s or professionals’ names will be used;
- We will not judge each other or our decisions. This is a safe place to discuss our concerns.
- We will not criticize the actions or thoughts of another member. We are all trying to do the best we can.
- There is no pressure to speak. Sometimes we may feel more open than other times. If you do not wish to speak all you need to say is ‘pass’.
- We will try to participate as much as we can. It is through doing this that we feel more comfortable and get more out of these times together.
- We will not give unsolicited advice. We share our own concerns & experiences and offer suggestions only so that the individual can make up her own mind.
- We will not give medical or treatment advice.
- Our meetings will have a flexible structure.
- As new members come we will accept them & be open to their pain and their lives.
- In order that everyone feels secure and safe to share, everything that is said here will remain here. Nothing needs to be repeated or discussed. WE STRESS RESPECT AND CONFIDENTIALITY!
We can assist with and / or incur the cost of:
- Transportation to and from treatments
- Alterations to clothing
- Coping with physical changes i.e. Hair alternatives
- Emotional support to individuals & families
- House cleaning
Any other needs that we can provide to make this transition easier for those in the Interlake area. For more information call Claudette Griffin 204-886-2393.